This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

I'm in Love with Berlin!

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, April 28, 2007

I'm in Love with Berlin!

I arrived in Berlin yesterday and I am so impressed!

I was expecting to be disappointment in the Berlin hype or that it would be a one-note hipster heaven but I have been pleasantly surprised by the layers of style here.

I got a lot of greater shots yesterday in Berlin and will start posting them tomorrow along with images from Munich, and Koln.

Today (Saturday and Sunday) I will go to Hamburg and then return to Berlin for Monday and Tuesday.

One very nice surprise is how many great little shops are in Berlin. Anyone that has ever shopped with me knows I am very picky about stores because I had to deal with so many of them for 15 years working in Sales & Marketing for several designers.

In Berlin the shop owners have somehow figured out how to mix sweet and tough in just the right amounts. I have taken pictures in quite a few stores so i will be posting them this coming week.

I have a new friend and her name is Berlin.

Comments on "I'm in Love with Berlin!"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:47 AM) : 

we know! nice to hear you like our city :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:58 AM) : 

Welcome to the club .

 

Blogger Stephanie said ... (4:31 AM) : 

Hi!
I´m following your blog with great interest and I´m very exited about the Germany photos, since I am from Germany (Munich). I can´t wait to see them! I really liked the Milan photos.
Have a great trip! Steffi

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:52 AM) : 

Wait till you get to Hamburg! Hamburg is far more beautiful than Berlin and even Munich. Enjoy your weekend!

 

Blogger guymsea said ... (6:45 AM) : 

Glad you liked Berlin, It is without doubt the most creative city on the planet right now. There is still tremendous creative freedom and not ruined by large corporations and big money, hopefully it will remain that way for a while yet.

 

Blogger Ephemeralthing said ... (6:48 AM) : 

hahahahaahahah! no surprise, it had to be like this, Mr. Sart!
Berlin is an amazing place, since summer of 94, I spent every August there. It´s absolutely stimulating!
I love the culture of life berliners have.
I´m expecting your pics with great willingness.
During August it takes place a fantastic Dance Festival I strongly recommend you, "Tanz im August".
I remember the lines of Leo Cohen´s song: "first we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin ....".
Schone Grüsse!

 

Blogger Fabienne said ... (7:07 AM) : 

*smile* glad you like it here.

 

Blogger Gudl said ... (8:01 AM) : 

Well, I am glad you like Berlin/Germany.
Can't wait for more pictures!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:52 AM) : 

I love Berlin! was there on a tripe to pictoplasma, the east side is the best side there.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:57 AM) : 

I fell in love with Berlin too when I visited earlier this year, and I'd move there in a second given the opportunity! Can't wait to see your pictures!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:27 AM) : 

Really? That's so good to hear! I have a friend who's living in Hamburg next year so some friends and I are going to visit and go to Berlin. I've never been but met guys from there when I was in highschool and they were sooo stylish and cool, I've always imagined it to be a very hip and forward-looking city. Have you visited the Jewish Museum by Liebeskind? I've heard the architecture literally takes your breath away.

 

Blogger Cappuccino Girl said ... (10:52 AM) : 

Heee. Knew you'd love it. Looking forward to your Koeln photos, and hope (hopehope) that you crossed paths with that lady in the green polkadot dress on Ehren Str.

 

Blogger Paize said ... (10:54 AM) : 

can't wait for the new pics!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:57 AM) : 

Jonathan Safran Foer, who is living in Berlin currently because he obviously is a hipster, said in an interview two weeks ago that he liked Berlin better than New York. But what does this little village of 3 Million inhabitants, that is dirty, spangled with dog piles allover, and populated by masses of horribly dressed Germans have that NYC does not have?
At least, I have to admit, some clubs for electronic music are worth visiting. Check out the watergate club, if you have a chance to.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:47 PM) : 

Check out "Cool Berlin Shops" part of the teNeus series. Can't wait to see yours.

Andy - Chicago

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Welcome to Berlin! You shouldn't miss visiting Chelsea Farmers Club in Charlottenburg. I'm sure you'll love this little fancy store.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:32 PM) : 

I feel like I´m traveling too and you have the best eye for showing us those exquisite little things about a town.

Your latests posts are simply delicious


Sart, let me tell you this: you rock!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:51 PM) : 

I'm expecting your photos in Berlin!
I loooooooooooooove Berlin style!

 

Blogger MARIA H said ... (2:52 PM) : 

Berlin is the most interesting city on the planet nowdays; great you found examples. The city has all the futurism that cities need plus the austhere level of aesthetics that makes kitsch even from "high end" brands. I manged to lived there for a long year...still think is above many other experiences.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:06 PM) : 

i have to side more with the 3rd anonymous sentiments.
you usually get that 'feeling' the first time you see a new city. berlin is a fun place to visit but not to live.
a city where over 65% of the population work for free (or for drinks) and the other 35% are just there for the ride. it's full of very creative, talented people... still being supported by their parents well into their 30's. does that make a city cool?

 

Blogger Bárbara Santiago said ... (3:17 PM) : 

I REALLY lov your blog. I read about it on Vogue Brasil, and since that I came here every day.
I'm a fashion student from brasil and I take some photos too...but I don't have a nice camera...well, If you don't mind, I'd like to show ya my web site when it will be done...now, still under construction...
kisses
and sucess!

Bárbara Santiago

 

Blogger bixx said ... (3:31 PM) : 

lovely. wish i could be there as well. glad it's going well.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (5:43 PM) : 

Berlin is great for alternative hipster styles.good places for people watching are the fleamarket at Mauerpark in Prenzlauerberg, Rio and Dr. Pong.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:12 PM) : 

Berlin is vulgar, Hamburg is noble.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:18 PM) : 

i'm so glad Berlin is a lady!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:39 PM) : 

hi sart!
have you ever been to melbourne? if you haven't, then you must come and review this city's fashion. keep up the good work! i really enjoy this blog.

 

Blogger lauky said ... (11:54 PM) : 

Berlin ,very wonderful city

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:46 AM) : 

I just saw you on Fashion TV (in Toronto, Was it a repeat?)
I got so excited!! You are definitely my friend in my head. I've been following your blog since day 1.
Congrats on all your success!
You're much appreciated!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 AM) : 

YEAH! Berlin is a Lady - the kind of lady that you love to hate and hate to love. Everything is changing, every day. And yes, it is dirty - but even the dirt is different everyday! Nothing makes sense in Berlin - until you´re far away from here - that´s her Sex. Enjoy Hamburg and danke für die Bilder!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

after two visits, i can't begin to describe my love affair with this city. make sure to visit ulf haines and Anuschka Hoevener (kastanienallee--you will pass some great guerilla shops along the way) for amazing fashion.

 

Blogger guymsea said ... (9:49 PM) : 

To the anonymous poster who asked what Berlin has that New York doesn't have any more and hasn't had for a while is creative freedom and individuality in commerce and culture. Nice to get away from chain stores and big labels.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 AM) : 

NY Vs Berlin: Berlin is not gentrified as horribly as NYC.

 

Blogger Iwantajobinfashion said ... (9:42 AM) : 

Hamburg might be "prettier" than Berlin, but Berlin is definitely where it's at. Can't wait to see your pics. Kinda disappointed I didn't run into you. I still might. You will recognize me by my puppy (the tinest dog in the world). Berlin loves you.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:49 AM) : 

all of you have gotten me very excited...we're getting the hell out of Brooklyn and spending the month of June in Berlin. More suggestions please!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:38 PM) : 

stilinberlin!

 

Blogger rosemary said ... (7:35 PM) : 

i'm so happy to hear you like berlin! i am going there for school next year, and i absolutely can't wait!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:13 PM) : 

you simply cannot not love Berlin! try Mandala hotel, at the Potsdamer Platz. definitely your type of thing...I am looking forward to reading about your Hambourg experience - I love that city too. May i suggest you visit Vienna - you will be pleasantly surprised. They for one know how to wear winter clothes. Also, you should make sure you visit Athens. A lot is going on in the streets and they just had their 4th fashion week. keep walking!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:27 AM) : 

i used to live in berlin and it is a good place to find yourself, waste some time with going out, be creative and get a strong personality because the people there can be a little bit challenging or weird in their mentality.
after that you should leave as fast as possible if you do not want to end up getting over 30 still doing the same things you did five years ago and also still looking like 20!!
the only advantage you have is that you can live incredibly cheap so that makes it kind of easy but on the other side no one earns real money there.
still it is a good place to visit in august!

 

Blogger Asia said ... (4:49 PM) : 

Ich bin ein Berliner!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:34 PM) : 

I'm going to berlin in august!!!
Can you tell me some cool shop where to buy??
I leave my msn: daniloj1@hotmail.com

Use it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00 PM) : 

Great photo!

 

Anonymous Leo said ... (12:20 AM) : 

I recently moved away from Berlin to Hamburg after 11 years there, and many of my friends, even "true" Berliners, did the same. I didn't like the way things turned in the past few years, I felt like I was living in kind of "Disneyland for alternative way of life", with my favourite bars and clubs being overruned with tourists. Some places, like Prenzlauer Berg, are a now a gentrification nightmare.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting