This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

At The Shows......Sockless, Calvin Klein Show

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, January 06, 2007

At The Shows......Sockless, Calvin Klein Show

The temperatures have been in the 50's and 60's in New York the last couple of weeks which seems to be a perfect temperature to do a sockless shoe look. I love the way that Robert ,from L'Uomo Vogue, has done it here.

Comments on "At The Shows......Sockless, Calvin Klein Show"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:51 AM) : 

I like this sockless man. I am not much for men in little shorts and cutesy sandals OFF the beach or trail, that is a turn off, but this sockless man is a turn on-- he is elegant.

also men on sailboats in skinny jeans & sockless in real shoes look stylish.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:14 AM) : 

Yuck!
Shoes with no socks looks wrong on adults, with the exception of topsiders worn on a sailboat. Sneakers with no socks is fine on children, but that's it. For everyone else, it looks like you're too busy to do laundry or too lazy to get entirely dressed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM) : 

Silly question maybe, but doesn't going sockless lead to smelly shoes and smelly feet pretty quickly?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:33 PM) : 

He looks adorably sexy, BUT, I must ask, doesn't a man need to have stylish ankles to carry it off (as he does)? I have seen some men with their stray hairs peeking from under their cuffed khakis. Not tres chic at all.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:35 PM) : 

I lived in Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, and Sanibel Island (all in Florida) for some years of my life. Love that warm weather.

Sockless with Johnson's baby powder, pure cornstarch, sprinkled lightly into the shoe before wearing, or dusted on the foot, is the way that worked best for me...keeps things dry and comfy.

But in NYC, I never go sockless...it seems too affected for my taste here...and not very urban. Guess I'll reserve sockless for the more tropical climes...but that's just me.

- JCH

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:02 PM) : 

I know the other guy's pants are light grey, but the white socks still make me wince a bit.

 

Blogger Nia said ... (1:02 PM) : 

Is he really not wearing socks? Or is he wearing those tiny socks that fool you into thinking he's going sockless? That's what I do with sneakers in the summer--there's nothing I hate more than seeing a sock peeking out of a sneaker.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:26 PM) : 

I tried going sockless once and lasted about 10 minutes! It was sticky and just plain uncomfortable.

There are socks called peds that one can wear and still look sockless.

I don't recommend going sockless unless your feet never sweat.

 

Blogger Laurence John said ... (1:36 PM) : 

that's quite a timeless look to pair turned up dark jeans with traditional brown brogues and a white shirt... has a 40s/50s nod.

helps if each item is gracefully distressed, otherwise could look bland.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM) : 

Hi, I´m from Spain and love your blog! sockless seems to be cool and lazy, i like it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:02 PM) : 

Isaac Mizrahi seems to always be sockless; it's amusing.

 

Blogger Butch said ... (2:06 PM) : 

Well, one wants to disassociate oneself--or this one does--from WASP-y socklessness, which seems always to involve slip-ons of the Weejuns sort.

The key here, I think, is the short-ish (though cuffed) trouser length, and the shoes, which are lace-up.

Weather permitting, I think socklessness on men can be great, as in the photo.

(Now is it time to discuss venturing forth sans underwear?)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:10 PM) : 

Eww. Hate the sockless look. It looks so affected. Moreover, it is incredibly unhygenic.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:37 PM) : 

Ok, so, is that white socks with black shoes that I'm looking at here? Sorry, but I can't seem to tear my eyes away to look at the no-socks man.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:59 PM) : 

If the shoes were any more dressy they would look wrong. I think he looks stylish and elegant.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

I noticed this sockless trend just yesterday on a flock of St. Louis catholic schoolgirls. The plaid skirts and button-down oxfords I was familiar with, but the penny loafers and top-siders I wore have been replaced with worn and dirty nike running shoes - and no socks. Makes me wonder what the nuns are wearing these days...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:54 PM) : 

That's a good look. To the poster who wondered what they were discussing, it wasn't just you. I wondered the same thing. LOL

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM) : 

I thought Don Johnson was so unbelievably hot on Miami Vice with his naked ankles!

Bring back the big pastel suits, naked ankles, and slip ons!

Yum city. :P

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:16 PM) : 

Sart, I have a question that's totally unrelated to this photo...is it really THAT "warm" in NY now? I will be in NY from the 18th to the 29th of this month. It'll be my first time to visit NY. I still don't know what clothes to pack, but your site has been very helpful. I've been visiting your blog for more than a year now...just to see what New Yorkers are wearing. I hope that my winter coats will serve its purpose when I get there. Lovely pictures by the way. Keep up the good work!

x Asia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:52 PM) : 

he should wear socks...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:18 PM) : 

He probably wearing ped-socks. That's my secret when I want a 'sockless look.'

Sockless can be sexy on both guys and girls, but I dig cute, unusual or just nice socks and hose.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:23 PM) : 

Unfortunately it just looks like the man doesn't know how to dress himself. It always looks silly.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:05 PM) : 

These temps have made me want to go sockless. Then I just stop and think "Why dont I just wear sandals?"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 PM) : 

i think it's funny how people are so against the sockless look...for me personally, i usually only go sockless with topsiders (i have two pairs, one white leather and another brown leather with a tannish mesh and when it's between 40-75 degrees they're pretty much the only thing i wear). it's also necessary to be very careful about the length of the pants: a little high looks good, especially when you messily roll chinos or denim, but if you go beyond thom browne highness it can look a little funny. the key is to really only do it with shoes that are decently breathable and not too dressy. trying to attempt it with nice wingtips is too uncomfortable and looks odd, in my opinion. nothing against thom browne wearing dress shoes without socks, but socks are another accessory to add a little color or design to your outfit-- why not use them?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:58 PM) : 

I love this sockless look, its not unhygenic at all unless your feet stinks, me I wear this gorgeous prada oxfords a lot sockless, and always tell my husband to wear sometimes sockless shoes, they look so chic, I think it is very european.. I just love it! you see it more and more in all the magazines..

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05 PM) : 

in spirit of the air tie, is this the 'air sock'?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:30 PM) : 

I think the ideal is to do this with a pair of distressed brown wing tips (kinda like what John Varvatous has been doing in past seasons) with a pair of dark Helmut Lang straight leg jeans, a crisp white shirt and a navy blazer. Throw on a vintage Hamilton and well, it just makes me smile to even think about that get-up. Thanks again Sart for adding a smile to an otherwise blah day. (Note:I know I spelled Varvatous name wrong...I just spent 20 minutes looking thru the Jan. 1 issue of DNR to find his name and wouldn't you know it...it is the ONE issue in which he isn't mentioned!Forgive me fashion fans!)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:55 PM) : 

I'm generaly pro-sock (or more accurately, anti-no-sock, if you catch my drift.) But I guess I'm coming around a bit ... heck, I even used to wear socks with sandals.

Beyond issues of sweat and smell which may or may not be wafting your way, I find socks comfortable in a practical sort of way (especially if a fair bit of walking about is involved) which makes me think this is an effort at casual discomfort. I am reminded of "those kids" in highschool who were "too cool" to properly bundle up on cold winter days, shivering away insisting they're not cold ...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33 PM) : 

Sorry, leather shoes without socks is never attractive. At least not to me. Gross actually.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 PM) : 

I think Robert pulls it off fabulously, but I'd say that the majority (oh, by far at least 90%) of men can NOT go sockless. Unless they're wearing Topsiders. Then it looks fine.

Oh, I suppose it's the air and surroudings of a situation, I know. But somehow, in NYC...it's a bit odd.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 PM) : 

I say, just think of the stink!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:43 AM) : 

I know this week has been pretty nice with the weather. Just not for walking around sockless. Funny enough I have to say I do like what I see. However, baby powder does do the trick :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Love the shockless look...I always do! And have everybody getting at me becuse of the cold! :(

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 PM) : 

I go "sockless" with a pair of distressed black oxfords and jeans. What I actually do is take a pair of black tennis socks (those ones that just barely stick out of sneakers) and cut about an inch off the front. The back naturally stays beneath the shoe. I can't stand the heat you get with bunched up socks and jeans.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 AM) : 

How interesting! If I had to pick between the two, I'd go for "sockless man" as the black shoe/white gym socks combo is, umm, not working.

Gym socks are for the gym or for knee high boots with killer heels. Period.

mltt

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:35 AM) : 

When I go sockless, I put ONE drop of tea tree oil on the sole of each foot before I slip into my shoes. Tea tree oil has natural antiseptic properties so there is no foot odor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:23 AM) : 

I tend to go sockless in the summer months when wearing Todd loafers and linen slacks (sometimes rolled up to show a little ankle). I've never had any of the ladies complain to me about foot odor. Airing the shoes out and maybe sticking in a wooden shoe tree should absorb any moisture and the leather smell should return to the shoes.
I'd think that with brogues or oxford lace-up shoes, the leather would chafe my ankles too much to wear without socks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:18 AM) : 

Both these guys look good. Although I'm not sure about the white/cream socks!!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:44 AM) : 

Sockless is very unappealing, and now I'll also be thinking about those little fawn sockettes. Much better to wear what I think are called Flip Flops in the U.S.You can get them in black or navy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:50 AM) : 

I also tried the "Sockless" but didn't work out for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:54 PM) : 

sockless looks really sexy, but i find it more comfortable in my chucks than in oxfords...i've even tried not-socks and still a bit uncomfortable

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:22 AM) : 

i love going sockless. It has always bothered me why women's shoes are sometime intended to be worn sockless yet men don't have that option. in cities with hot summers it's funny how women can have their arms and legs showing yet mens fashion requires you to be covered from the neck down.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:37 AM) : 

To whoever is disgusted with the hygene element of going sockless, but would like to I have a solution.

"Loafer Socks" They were in a recent issue of GQ, you can grab them at banana republic

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:06 PM) : 

I'd propose this summer sockless dress: Shorts, slightly tan legs and those low-cut moccasins (leave bare uncovered most of the back of feet but the toes), apparently similar to lady shoes, they actually a very regular man hot outfit. What fo you think about it. I'd love it.
Anto

 

Anonymous Jon said ... (9:01 PM) : 

I like going sockless, mostly because I don't like doing laundry. I use insoles and rotate my shoes so they have at least one day to air. I also shower every day and moisterize my feet with vaseline. I haven't had a problem with oder.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:39 PM) : 

Sockless is the way I like to roll in the warmer weather. I see no need for socks. Hey if you like wearing socks, that is fine too, but don't criticize me for not wanting to wear them. My feet don't sweat much and don't smell so I don't need to wear socks. It is way more comfortable to go sockless for me.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 AM) : 

I've also gone sockless. I like the look. And my girlfriend likes the look also. We both don't wear socks. The key is to wear good leather shoes that keep odors down. And always keep your feet clean. Everyones feet sweat, some not as much. I have to rotate my shoes at least every other day so they can have a chance to dry out.

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting