This page has moved to our new address, www.thesartorialist.com. If you're not redirected within a few seconds, please click below. If you still have issues, please clear your cache and try again.

On the Street Shoe Repair, Chinatown

 
 
 
 
 















Rss Feed

Links

Assignment Photography and Syndication

Gallerist

Categories

This entire site ⓒ 2005-2011 The Sartorialist. All of the photographs herein, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted by the photographer. No part of this site, or any of the content contained herein, may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without express permission of the copyright holder(s).



 

Saturday, August 05, 2006

On the Street Shoe Repair, Chinatown

Comments on "On the Street Shoe Repair, Chinatown"

 

Blogger blackbird said ... (10:38 AM) : 

lovely shots.

I appreciate the fact that you see things that most people walk past.

 

Blogger Vesper Lynd said ... (11:58 AM) : 

great black/whites. it is all in the details.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 PM) : 

there is a quality in these that remind me of Manuel Alvarez Bravo's work. Really great textures. and the hands are amazing.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:27 PM) : 

Gerat shots, but unfortunately, your pictures keep getting smaller and smaller.
Maybe it's a problem of your blog-provider, but I just wonder how other people like facehunter are able to provider bigger images while they are on the same server?

Anyways, keep up the good work.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:14 PM) : 

Wonderful eye, Sart. As a woman who wears a 10AA and loves her shoes, I try to make mine last (I guess that's a pun) as long as possible. I have always been on a first-name basis with the cobblers in the cities where I have lived. I am old enough (53) that I notice worn-down heels and wonder why other people think that doesn't matter. Did anyone notice a recent photograph of Senator Elizabeth Dole in the NYT? Her shoes were a mess! I will refrain from any political commentary. I trust that you are enjoying your vacation.

 

Blogger Elizabeth said ... (3:14 PM) : 

Your eye is at it again, fanTAStic. I love the 4-c black and white effect . . . so rich.

 

Blogger JT said ... (8:36 PM) : 

Traditional cobblers are sadly a dying trade even in Asia.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:28 PM) : 

A cobbler related issue.

Recently had a pair of Tod's driving mocs purchased for me as a gift - soft sole, black nubs. Lasted about two weeks before the bottoms were destroyed, anyone attempt to reconstrcut these?

My cobbler rebuilt the entire foundation from the inside out and the sole is now a solid piece of vibram. Incredibly sturdy and more comfortable than before, unfortunatly not as sleek or attractive - leaning more on the orthodic side.

Any thoughts?

 

Blogger Irihapeta said ... (4:28 AM) : 

They are so different from your usual shots, but I really like them - especially the middle shot highlighting the hands.

Glad the holiday still allows for some creativity.

(By the way, the photos seem an OK size to me.)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 PM) : 

most of us refuse to work this hard, perhaps we should rethink our daily plight

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:50 PM) : 

Another voice praising the strong, unpretentious, eloquent hands. They're worth 10,000 words.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:06 PM) : 

I walk by this guy all the time. These photos made me teary...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Look at his hands! They have carved many human steps!

 

Blogger Frances Marie Medina said ... (1:53 AM) : 

definitely my shoe repair man. .... I absolutely love your photos and the website as a whole. Inspiring.

 

Blogger Un-even Day said ... (11:52 AM) : 

Amazing eye, and amazing New York, as always.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:42 PM) : 

I use to love to go into these shops when I was young. My dad loved good hats and shoes. These are unsung craftsmen and artisans. You won't find this in an area with payless shoe stores. Lol.

 

Anonymous Alexander Wang said ... (3:19 AM) : 

Look at this old photos, i will think more, that old shoe repairman have a hard life!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:58 AM) : 

The Hands! The hands This picture speaks volumes Wonderful! Thank-you!

 

post a comment
Newer Posts Older Posts
Best Web Hosting